During and after a divorce, it may become difficult for grandparents to see their grandchildren, particularly if the parents become estranged and their child is the non-custodial parent. Sadly, most grandparents in Connecticut do not have any legal protections to ensure that they can develop or maintain a relationship with a grandchild.

While most grandparents do not have a right to file a petition in family court for Grandparents' rights, they CAN become a party in a court action brought by their child. Grandparents can enter an ongoing case. Connecticut divorce attorney Bruce A. Chamberlain will work with the parents of his divorce clients to help them establish their own right to visitation, with the approval of the client.

Grandparents who meet certain criteria DO have the ability to petition for visitation rights:

If they have a parent-like relationship with the child (some 4 million grandparents around the country are raising their grand children and fulfilling the parental role), AND

If denying them visitation would be tantamount to neglect of the child.

If you are a grandparent who has filled a parental role for a lengthy period of time in your grandchild's life, you have legal rights. You would even have the right to file for custody, where appropriate.

If you do not fit this criteria and do not have the ability to petition the court to exercise your Grandparents' rights, our family law office may still be able to help you regain a relationship with your grandchildren. Often lawyer-facilitated negotiations or a letter from a lawyer will yield a positive result.

Contact the law office of Bruce A. Chamberlain to speak to a grandparent right's attorney and see if we can help your family reunite.